Cheers to the New Year | 7 REALISTIC RESOLUTIONS FOR TWENTY-SOMETHINGS

New Year's Resolutions | Motte's Blog

Now that Christmas lies behind us (at least officially), we are heading towards the New Year… the time of year that, let’s face it, many people dread.

Sure, it is a time of celebration, of emotional reminiscence and hopeful foresight. Yet, simultaneously, it is one of those (rare and yet much too frequent) moments in time when we stare straight into the abyss of the unknown, the dreaded, of potential change and unexpected misfortune.
And then there is that thing about getting older. Bing reminded and all that.

I suppose you could say New Year’s and I have a love-hate-relationship. New Year’s loves me and my determination to empty the bottle of sparkling wine. And I hate New Year’s’s [seriously, what I am I doing here??] bitter honesty about us being fate’s slave.

New Year's Resolutions | Motte's Blog

One thing New Year’s is particularly good at is reminding us of (recurrent) failed New Year’s resolutions.

While some highly determined people out there are avid, die-hard resolutionists (although I’m pretty sure I’m not using this word in the right context, but you get what I’m saying), others are simply less keen on living their life according to predetermined determinations and regulations arising from random hypotheses and the odd presupposition (even if only for a year).

So this year, I have decided to be somewhat more realistic about my resolutions…

For convenience (for your’s, but mainly for my own, since I fear I might just happen to “forget” a resolution here and there if I don’t keep them organized), I have sorted them by category.

I also decided to narrow it down to 1-2 resolutions per category, because there is no point in overdoing it (I’m trying to be realistic, remember?).


It is also vital to acknowledge that there is a difference between your

General Conviction = personal guidelines to life; the beliefs and moral concept according to which you live our life

and

New Year’s resolutions = little acts of self-improvement that you wish to focus on during the course of the upcoming year.


There really is no point in putting your resolutions on par with your overall value system. This will only result in failure and low self-esteem. Rather, resolutions are something you choose to pay special attention to and to improve on by means of practice and concentrated attentiveness.

And sometimes we fail to. And that’s okay.

So with no further ado I present to you the 2015 (hopefully) realistic New Year’s resolutions that I will give my best effort in zooming in on in the 12 months to come (hoping that by then they will come to me naturally).

Let me know what you would add / change / omit and have the best possible start to the New Year!

New Year's Resolutions | Motte's Blog


No comments