Summer Flea Market Finds | DIY CHARM EARRINGS

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

When I, on a beautiful Sunday morning, suggest heading to the flea market, I am more than likely to find someone who will join me. Maybe it’s just the people I hang out with, but my general observation is that people love a good flea market! Looking at other people’s junk and finding something that is in desperate need of a make-over just seems to be a joyous event.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

I get it though. Recycling, upcycling, downcycling – or whatever you want to call it – is so rewarding. Turning something old into something new, something used into something truly unique; something that suits you and your style, something you can’t find on the main street (anymore, in most cases), and might even be budget-friendly.

So yes, flea markets and second hand shops are now rightfully labelled cool. They’re fun, they’re edgy, and they’re kind of gross, but definitely hipster.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

I wasn’t always a fan though. As somewhat of a germophobe, flea markets scare me. It’s not even so much all of the people feeling the need to pick up every other item, rub their hands all over it, maybe give a little cough, then put the thing back onto the table for someone else to scrutinize. That is why I bring a hand sanitizer.

Rather, not knowing where these piles and piles of stuff come from, not knowing why they are here for sale in the first place and when they were last cleaned kind of, well, kills me.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

Basically, I used to keep clear of flea markets. I had no need for other people’s junk.

But things change.

And change is good. Is what I’ve heard.

I really got into flea markets when I was working at the theatre. Flea markets are like a hoarder’s dream, so it only made sense to make them my first stop when looking for Hamlet’s skull, Romeo’s dagger or Desdemona’s handkerchief.

I’d say no matter how absurd of a prop you are looking for, you can probably find it at a good flea market.

And if I personally can return home with a quick and easy DIY in mind, even better!

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

So this morning I picked up these cute bee charms that I decided would make the cutest earrings for the upcoming summer! I simply love wearing my hair up with bigger pendants dangling from my ears, it looks so classy!

I don’t know about you, but I get a little obsessed with earrings. I have to wear them just about every day until I cannot stand them anymore. And I have a feeling I will be wearing these. A lot.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

WHAT YOU’LL NEED:

- 2 earring wires
- 2 charms (from the flea market)
- 2 jump rings (7mm)
- 2 pliers (flat nose pliers work best)

For each earring, you will need an earring wire, a jump ring and a charm of your choice.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

Using pliers, bend the bottom loop of the earring wires 90°. This way, once the charm has been added, it will not keep turning inwards, but will turn outwards with the right side up.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

Open up your jump ring using your pliers; one to hold the ring in place, the other to bend open the other side. Add the earring wire and a charm, and close the jump ring.

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

Quickest DIY ever, and the best way to display your flea market finds!  Have a lovely Sunday!

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog

DIY Charm Earrings | Motte's Blog






MUSIC PARING:

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz, Thrift Shop

No comments